Dr. Jianhong Zhang is Senior researcher and Associate Professor in International Economics and Businesses at Nyenrode Business University. She is part of Nyenrode's Faculty Research Center for Entrepreneurship, Governance & Stewardship.
After ten years of working in China as a university teacher, she came to the Netherlands in 1999 as a visiting scholar. She gained her Ph.D. in international economics in 2005 at University of Groningen, then she worked as an assistant professor at the same university. In 2007 she joined Nyenrode as a research fellow and became an associate professor in 2009.
Besides research and teaching, Zhang engaged in setting up and maintaining the cooperation between Nyenrode and Chinese universities and institutes, served as a program manager in designing, recruiting and operating professional training and acted as a program leader in creating and operating student’s international study trip.
She is an active researcher and has published over 60 academic articles in peer-reviewed journals, most recently, for example, in Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Business Research, Party politics, International Business Review, The Journal of Technology Transfer, Management International Review, and China Economic Review.
Zhang serves as a reviewer for some international journals such as:
- Journal of International Business Study
- Global Strategy Journal
- International Business Review
- Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization
- Research collaboration with international scholars from Durham University (UK), University of Alberta (Canada), North-West University (South Africa), Nankai University, and Hunan Normal University (China).
- Visiting Professor at Northeast Normal University (China) and teaches an online course on international business to their master students.
Walking, growing plants, knitting and learning.
Recent relevant publications
- Zhang, J., Gorp, D. van, Ebbers, H., Zhou, C., & Kievit, H. (2022). Organizational legitimacy of emerging multinational enterprises : An individual perspective. International Business Review, 31(6), 102615.
- Zhang, J., van Gorp, D., & Kievit, H. (2022). Digital technology and national entrepreneurship: An ecosystem perspective. The Journal of Technology Transfer, in press,
- Zhang, J., Zhou, C., & Ebbers, H. (2022). Good news is good news for new economic powers. International Communication Gazette, in press.
- Zhang, J. (2022). Liability of emergingness and EMNEs’ cross-border acquisition completion: A legitimacy perspective. International Business Review, 31(2), 101951.
- Jiang, J., Zhang, J., & Cao, H. (2021). Party determinants of FDI : Evidence from governing party fractionalization in government. Party Politics, in press.
- Zhang, J., Deephouse, D. L., van Gorp, D., & Ebbers, H. (2022). Individuals’ perceptions of the legitimacy of emerging market multinationals: Ethical foundations and construct validation. Journal of Business Ethics, 176, 801–825.
- Zhang, J., Zhou, C., van Gorp, D., & van Witteloostuijn, A. (2020). Willingness to work for multinational enterprises from emerging countries: The case of Chinese multinational enterprises in the Netherlands. International Business Review, 29(5), 101713.
- Zhang, J., He, X., Zhou, C., & van Gorp, D. (2019). Antecedents of corporate image : The case of Chinese multinational enterprises in the Netherlands. Journal of Business Research, 101, 389–401.
- Zhang, J., Jiang, J., & Noorderhaven, N. (2019). Is certification an effective legitimacy strategy for foreign firms in emerging markets? International Business Review, 28(2), 252–267.
- He, X., & Zhang, J. (2018). Emerging market MNCs’ cross-border acquisition completion: Institutional image and strategies. Journal of Business Research, 93, 139–150.