“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.”
- Benjamin Brewster -
Prof. Dr. Marta Berent-Braun is Van Lanschot Kempen professor Family Businesses and Ownership Dynamics at Nyenrode Business University. She is part of Nyenrode's Faculty Research Center for Entrepreneurship, Governance & Stewardship. Her current research includes topics of ownership dynamics, governance, (sustainable) entrepreneurship, business transfer, marketing, and innovation in private (family) firms.
Berent-Braun is an active member of the academic society: she regularly presents her research at international conferences and is a reviewer for academic journals such as Family Business Review, Journal of Business Strategy or Journal of Business Ethics. Berent-Braun takes a sit in the Editorial Board of International Review of Entrepreneurship journal and is the co-organizer of the "Finance, Management, Governance & Accounting in Family Businesses" track at the EURAM annual conference.
Berent-Braun is Academic Director of the BScBA program, a member of Assessment Committee and a member of Assurance of Learning Committee. She is also a coordinator of “Research and Academic Development” learning trajectory, BScBA program. She is involved in educational activities including development of courses and teaching in degree programs, open programs, summer courses and executive programs.
In 2010, Berent-Braun received her doctoral degree at Nyenrode Business Universiteit (the Netherlands), a Master’s Degree in Economics & Business, specializing in Entrepreneurship, at Erasmus University Rotterdam (the Netherlands), as well as a Master’s Degree in Management & Marketing, at University of Lodz (Poland).
- Member Editorial Board of International Review of Entrepreneurship journal.
- Member of the Knowledge Platform Entrepreneurship of the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate.
Most relevant publications
- Berent-Braun, M.M., Flören, R.H., & den Ouden, M.M.C.M. (2018). Being able and willing to innovate: A study of family firm identity and new product output among Dutch private businesses. International Review of Entrepreneurship, 16(2), 183-215.
- Berent-Braun, M.M., & Uhlaner, L.M. (2012). Family governance practices and teambuilding: Paradox of the enterprising family. Small Business Economics, 38(1), 103-119.
- Flören, R.H. & Berent-Braun, M.M. (2017). Innovatie en het familiebedrijf: Een onderzoek naar innovatiekeuzes en –strategieën van Nederlandse familiebedrijven. Breukelen: Nyenrode Business Universiteit.
- Flören, R.H., Berent-Braun, M.M., Uhlaner, L.M. & De Nooijer, C. (2013). Corporate governance en het familiebedrijf. In: M. Lückerath-Rovers, B. Bier, H. van Ees, & M. Kaptein (Eds.), Jaarboek Corporate Governance 2013-2014 (pp. 89-105). Deventer: Kluwer.
- Uhlaner, L.M., Matser, I.A., Berent-Braun, M.M., & Flören, R.H. (2015). Linking bonding and bridging ownership social capital in private firms: Moderating effects of ownership–management overlap and family firm identity. Family Business Review, 28(3), 260-277.