Nature is my source of inspiration for designing the Circular Economy. In an organizational context this means finding balance, connecting with your environment and making conscious decisions.
Diane Zandee is an assistant professor at Nyenrode Business University. She is part of the Nyenrode Faculty Expertise Center Accounting, Auditing & Control
Zandee focuses her research and education on the financial side of sustainability, with particular reference to the circular economy. In this, she looks specifically at the role of the financial sector, the role of the controller or accountant and the instruments that support this.
Her sustainable heart started beating faster at Eneco, where Zandee was allowed to build on the energy transition in financial and procurement functions. Subsequently she worked in various financial roles as CFO or senior management at social companies such as NS and Schiphol Airport, but also at start-ups and scale ups. In addition to this work, Zandee conducted a PhD program, which she completed in 2023. This program focused on the circular economy and its obstacles in the financial context.
Her mission is to give the multiple value creation (Planet and People) a full place in the financial context and thereby build future-proof organizations.
In addition to her work at Nyenrode, Zandee is a supervisor at an educational organization and works as an independent consultant. In this, she supports organizations in making their strategy, steering of the organization or culture more sustainable and gives lectures.
Zandee is also a member of Het Groene Brein, where academics connect with each other and the business community on research regarding sustainability.
In her research, Zandee collaborates with:
- Monash University (Australia), where Zandee has also lectured
- Deakin University (Australia)
- University of Southern Queensland
In her spare time, Zandee can be found in nature. By racing bike or running in the forests.
Most relevant publications
- Fischer, A., Zandee, D., & Janssen Groesbeek, M. (2023). 12 Finance and accounting in the circular economy. In Handbook of the Circular Economy (pp. 191–218)
- Zandee, D., Zutshi, A., Creed, A. and Nijhof, A. (2022), "Aiming for bullseye: a novel gameplan for circular economy in the construction industry", Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, Vol. ahead-of-print No. ahead-of-print