Dr. Marlies de Vries RA is one day a week, as associate professor responsible for one of the main subjects in the accountants and controllers program: Administrative Information Management/Internal Control. This subject deals with business processes, risk management, ICT and behavior and culture.
In 2021, de Vries received the award for Best Impact Case of the Year from the faculty for her research among young accountants.
De Vries is known for her public roles related to the future of the accountancy sector in the Netherlands. The proper functioning of the sector is essential. The quality of the accountancy profession must continue to improve and De Vries is proud to contribute to this from various positions. In 2019-2020 she was a member of the Commission on the Future of the Accountancy Sector (CTA) established by the Minister of Finance and as of May 2020 she has been appointed by the Minister of Finance in a personal capacity as Quartermaster on the Future of the Accountancy Sector (until November 2023).
According to de Vries, her training as a chartered accountant and experience at PricewaterhouseCoopers have contributed positively to her being able to fulfill these public roles well: "I know the accountancy sector inside out, but am also sufficiently outside of it at the moment."
De Vries' expertise lies at the interface between governance, risk management, controlled operations and the influence of culture and behavior on these. As a chartered accountant, she found she knew too little about culture and behavior within organizations. This was the reason for her, after years of working in practice, to return to university and pursue a doctorate from a social-psychological perspective. In 2021, De Vries received her doctorate on the research "Luctor et Emergo, the experiences of young accountants in the Netherlands. This research not only resulted in international scientific publications but was also relevant to practice.
De Vries works part-time at Nyenrode. Relevant positions in this context are:
- Quartermaster on the Future of the Accountancy Sector for the Minister of Finance.
- Advisor behavior, culture and governance
- Member of the Social Advisory Board of the House for Whistleblowers
- De Vries, M en De Vries F. (2023). Zonder dialoog geen compliance. Compliance Ethcis and Sustainability / Tijdschrift voor Compliance, Vol.3, 112-117.
- De Vries, M., Blomme, R., & De Loo, I. (2022). Part of the herd or black sheep? An exploration of trainee accountants’ suffering and modes of adaptation. Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 83, 102353.
- Detzen, D., De Vries, M., & Wong, A. (2021). Young professionals and the institute: Giving a voice to the next generation of accountants?. European Accounting Review, 30(3), 557-582.
- De Vries, M. (2019). The unheard voices of the auditing sector. International Finance. Vol. V (8), p.98-99.
- De Vries, M.E. (2021). Luctor et Emergo: The Experiences of Young Accountants in the Netherlands. Proefschrift Nyenrode Business Universiteit. Supervised by prof. Rob Blomme (Nyenrode Business Universiteit) and prof. Ivo De Loo (Nyenrode Business Universiteit).