My mission at Nyenrode is to contribute to student’s / practitioners understanding of (Bayesian) statistics and their ability to draw sound conclusions from data.
Koen Derks is a PhD researcher at Nyenrode focusing on applications of Bayesian statistics in the field of auditing. His supervisors are Ruud Wetzels (Nyenrode), Jacques de Swart (Nyenrode), and Eric-Jan Wagenmakers (University of Amsterdam). Bayesian methods allow us to incorporate many sources of prior information into our analyses, providing opportunities for the auditing field. He implements these Bayesian and classical techniques in the audit module of the freely available, open-source, statistical software JASP.
He has studied Psychological methods at the University of Amsterdam, after which I made the switch to Nyenrode Business University. In his studies he contributed to several academic publications regarding the applications of statistics in practice, which he continues to do at Nyenrode.
His interests are going outside, programming and teaching.
Most relevant publications
- Derks, K., Burger, J., van Doorn, J., Kossakowski, J. J., Matzke, D., Atticciati, L., Wagenmakers, E.J. (2018). Network models to organize a dispersed literature: The case of misunderstanding analysis of covariance. Journal of European Psychology Students, 9, 48–57.: http://doi.org/10.5334/jeps.458.
- Derks, K., de Swart, J., Wagenmakers, E.J., Wille, J., & Wetzels, R. (preprint). JASP for Audit: Bayesian Tools for the Auditing Practice.
- Wagenmakers, E.J., Love, J., Marsman, M., Jamil, T., Ly, A., Verhagen, J., Morey, R. D. (2018). Bayesian inference for psychology. part ii: Example applications with jasp. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review, 25(1), 58–76.: https://doi.org/10.3758/s13423-017-1323-7.
- Landy, J. F., Jia, M., Ding, I. L., Viganola, D., Tierney, W., Uhlmann, E. L. (2020). Crowdsourcing hypothesis tests: Making transparent how design choices shape research results. Psychological Bulletin.: https://doi.org/10.1037/bul0000220
- Ly, A., Stefan, A., van Doorn, J., Dablander, F., van den Bergh, D., Sarafoglou, A., Wagenmakers, E. (in press). The Bayesian Methodology of Sir Harold Jeffreys as a Practical Alternative to the P-value Hypothesis Test. Computational Brain and Behavior.