One can never stop talking about the legal aspects of corporate governance.
Prof. Dr. Barbara Bier is Professor of Corporate Governance at Nyenrode Business University. She is part of the Nyenrode Faculty Expertise Center Entrepreneurship, Governance & Stewardship.
After more than 25 years of teaching, Barbara Bier still goes into a lecture with great joy - discussion with students is her teaching style. She really enjoys talking about corporate governance (and ESG) with colleagues from other disciplines and hearing how they view certain issues. That inspires her greatly.
Barbara Bier studied Dutch law and Notarial law in Leiden. In 2003 she received her doctorate from the EUR, on the subject of " Shareholder payouts".
She has now been working in corporate law within the notarial practice for over 35 years, previously as a partner and notary at Stibbe where she is now an advisor.
From 2011 to 2019, Barbara Bier was Professor of Corporate Law & Corporate Governance at Nyenrode Business University. Among other things, she and colleagues conducted the compliance study for the Corporate Governance Code Monitoring Committee on the (book) years 2013 and 2014.
Barbara Bier is a member of the Expert Group on Modernization of NV Law. The group advises the Minister for Legal Protection on various topics within corporate law.
- Advisor at Stibbe Attorneys at Law & Notaries
- Member of the Expert Group on modernization of NV law
- 2016 (2 months) Visiting professor Universitat de València - Departamento de Derecho Mercantil " Manuel Broseta Pont " - studying Spanish corporate law
Her hobbies include hiking, making bags and reading. She is also interested in food.
Most relevant publications
- Uitkeringen aan aandeelhouders (autumn 2023)
- De regenboog van het vennootschappelijk belang en ESG-verantwoord gedrag van een vennootschap en haar aandeelhouders, boekbijdrage (Instituut voor Ondernemingsrecht nr. 125), Wolters Kluwer 2022
- Dividend en aansprakelijkheid van bestuurders, commissaris en aandeelhouder, annotatie Hof Arnhem -Leeuwarden March 24, 2020, JOR 2020/197
- Enkele gedachten bij horizontaal, verticaal en diagonaal toezicht, Yearbook Corporate Governance 2018-2019, Wolters Kluwer
- De finale VEB c.s. vs KLM: besluit tot reservering niet in strijd met de redelijkheid en billijkheid van art. 2:8. Ondernemingsrecht, 2013/17
March 28, 2012 - 'The value of a shareholder'