“Sustainability can be defined as defined sustainability as “meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs”
(The United Nations Brundtland Commission)
Prof. Dr. René P. Orij is professor of corporate sustainability reporting at Nyenrode Business University. He is a member of Nyenrode's Faculty Research Center for Corporate Reporting, Finance & Tax. Orij teaches and performs research.
Orij is an accounting scholar with a focus on the blend of corporate financial and sustainability issues. It is his mission to support students in gaining understanding and skills on how to deal with corporate sustainability reporting, regarding the stewardship-role of businesses. He is a dedicated lecturer.
- Member of the panel of experts of the transparency benchmark of the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy of the Netherlands (2018 - present).
- Member of the Editorial Board - Journal of International Accounting, Auditing and Taxation.
- Associate Editor - Journal of Sustainable Finance & Investment.
- Member of the Editorial Board - Maandblad voor Accountancy en Bedrijfseconomie.
Orij was an international banker (Netherlands, Germany, Luxemburg, and Vietnam). Now he is performing research in international contexts and in national and international project teams.
He has three kids, and during the weekend he used to coach their sports teams – field hockey and soccer.
Most recent publications
- Gull, A. A., Hussain, N., Khan, S. A., Mushtaq, R., Orij, R. (forthcoming). The power of the CEO and environmental decoupling. Business Strategy and the Environment.
- Orij, R., Breijer, R., & Erkens, M. (2022). Veel soorten rapporten met niet-financiële informatie–door de bomen het bos weer zien?. Maandblad voor Accountancy en Bedrijfseconomie, 96(11/12), 367-376.
- Breijer, R., & Orij, R. P. (2022). The Comparability of Non-Financial Information: An Exploration of the Impact of the Non-Financial Reporting Directive (NFRD, 2014/95/EU). Accounting in Europe, 1-29.
- Kamp-Roelands, N., Looijenga, M., & Orij, R. (2021). Rapporteren over impact. Maandblad voor Accountancy en Bedrijfseconomie, 95, 421.
- Orij, R. P., Rehman, S., Khan, H., & Khan, F. (2021). Is CSR the new competitive environment for CEOs? The association between CEO turnover, corporate social responsibility and board gender diversity: Asian evidence. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 28(2), 731-747.
- Hussain, N., Rigoni, U., & Orij, R. P. (in paper 2018, online 2016). Corporate Governance and Sustainability Performance: Analysis of Triple Bottom Line Performance. Journal of Business Ethics: 1-22.
- Orij, R. (2010). Corporate social disclosures in the context of national cultures and stakeholder theory. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 23(7), 868-889.