Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
- Thomas, 1951 -
Prof. dr. Robert Jan Blomme is Professor of Organization Behavior. His main research concerns psychological, sociological, humanistic and institutional aspects of organizational behavior and organizational development. He uses different methodologies and methods in his research varying from quantitative multivariate, SEM and Multi-Level approaches till interpretative qualitative methods including grounded theory and analytical induction.
He has published a variety of books including ‘Alignment: A Study In Organizing Processes And Alignment Between Individual And Organizational Competencies’ and 'Another State of Mind: Perspectives from Wisdom Traditions on Management and Business'. Recipient of awards and research grants, he published peer-reviewed articles in journals including British Journal of Management, European Management Review, International Journal of HRM, International Journal of Hospitality Management, International Journal of Management Concepts and Philosophy, Journal of Management and Organization, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality and Journal of Organizational Change Management. Also he has published a diversity of book chapters, management articles and conference proceedings. Besides that, Rob serves as an (associate) editor and reviewer for the international academic community (see for an overview the list of publications) including the position of Editor-in-Chief for M&O: Tijdschrift voor Management en Organisatie.
At Nyenrode, he served from 2007-2009 as Program Director of the Full-Time MSc in Management, from 2016-2018 as Head of Faculty, from 2017-2018 as director of the PhD-school and from 2010-2018 as director of the Center for Leadership and Management Development. He served as chair and member for the exam committee and numerous education committees for different programs. He developed and taught courses such as Organization Behavior, Leadership, Organizational Change and Development, Organization Dynamics and Quantitative and Qualitative Methods.
He received his PhD from the Universiteit Utrecht in Social Sciences. He also holds an MSc in Business Administration (Open Universiteit), an MSc in Industrial Management (University of Hertfordshire, UK), a Master’s Degree in Learning and Development (Tilburg University) and a Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering (Fontys University of Applied Sciences).
Robert teaches different topics in behavioral sciences in which he integrates humanistic principles and human dignity.
Since 2016, Robert is also full professor management and organization at the Open University Netherlands. Also he is a visiting professor at different universities including Rijksuniversiteit Leiden and the Hotelschool The Hague.
Also from 2001-2014 he worked in business as an interim manager and independent consultant. From 2005 until 2013 he served as chaired professor HRM (Lector) at the Hotelschool The Hague.
Robert collaborates with colleagues from different international universities including Cranfield School of Management (UK), Kingston University London (UK), University of Lincoln (UK), Fordham University (US), Universität Tübingen (Ger) and Naruto University of Education (JP).
Robert’s main hobby is making music. He plays in different bands in which he sings and plays guitar. Also, he is interested in philosophy, musical theory and psychology of music.
Most relevant publications
- Blomme, R.J. (2017). Management and Organization: The necessity of a Humanistic Management Practice for the Human Condition. Inaugural lecture.
- Rupert, J., Blomme, R.J., Dragt, M., & Jehn, K. (2016). Being Different, but Close: How and When Faultlines Enhance Team Learning.
- Sok, J., Blomme, R.J., & Tromp, D.M. (2014). Relations between organizational culture and positive and negative work-home interference, and the mediating role of flexible work-home arrangements.
- Lub, X., Bijvank, M.N., Blomme, R.J., Bal, M.P., & Schalk, R. (2012). Different or alike?: Exploring the psychological contract and commitment of different generations of hospitality workers.
- Blomme, R.J. (2012). Leadership, complex adaptive systems, and equivocality: The role of managers in emergent change.
- Blomme, R.J. (2014). Patronen van Variëteit:Individuele gedragingen en gewoontes in de organisatiecontext (Patterns of Variety: Individual Behaviour and Habits within Organizations).