Visa & residence permits

Looking to immigrate to the Netherlands for your studies? You may be required a visa and/or a residence permit to enter the Netherlands. This will depend on your nationality, purpose and length of stay.

When joining Nyenrode as an international colleague, we will together complete your application. Quite a bit of preparation goes into your application, especially if your visit is longer than 90 days. Start the process in time and ensure you are well prepared when starting your application. On the consular website you can check if you need a visa, or you can refer to the overview below.


If you’re travelling from an EU/EER country or Switzerland, you will only be required to have a valid passport. Your nationality will entitle you to travel freely to and from all EU/EER member states.  


As a non-EU citizen you might need a visa to travel into the Netherlands and a separate permit to work and live in the country.

To find out what visa you need to travel into the Netherlands, please visit the this website from the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

To find out what permit you need to live and work please visit the guidance webpage of the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).


This so called a C-Visa, Schengen-Visa, or tourist visa, allows you to visit the Netherlands up to a maximum of 90 days. It is a sticker in your passport and can be issued for one or multiple entries. The holder of a Short Stay Visa can travel freely within the Schengen area. You have to apply for a Short Stay Visa in person. 

Check the consular webpage for information on the Shengen-visa or if you wish to find more information on how to apply for it.  

A provisional residence permit is always issued for

If you require a visa to cross the border into the Netherlands and wish to stay for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV). For more information about the MVV, refer to the the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. A provisional residence permit) is always issued for one particular purpose of stay such as “highly skilled migrant” or “scientific researcher under EC Directive 2016/801”. You will have to await the receipt of your Provisional Residence Permit in the country of origin before you can arrange your journey to the Netherlands. 


As a recognized sponsor, your employer will apply for a provisional Residence Permit (MVV) for you. The employer simultaneously submits an application both for your MVV and your residence permit at the same time. The IND (Immigration services) assesses the application and notifies your employer/host of the outcome. When it has been granted, the Dutch embassy/consulate will be notified and you will be able to collect your MVV from the Dutch embassy by appointment.  

Residence Permits

A plastic card the size of a credit card, it serves as proof of your identity, nationality and lawful residence in the Netherlands. It will allow you to enter and exit the Netherlands and travel through the Schengen area. Your stay in other Schengen countries is limited to a maximum period of 90 days within a period of 180 days.

If you intend to stay abroad longer, you must comply with the immigration regulations of that country. Use the Short-stay Visa Calculator to calculate your remaining travel days under a Schengen short-stay visa. The full rights you receive depend on the residence permit’s purpose of stay.

For more information on the types of residence permits for highly skilled people, please refer to Euraxess.  

More information

For more information please contact the International Office, or the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Services.


When staying in the Netherlands for a longer period of time, you are recommended to arrange the following matters as soon as possible – usually after you have registered with the municipality and received your BSN:

Leaving the Netherlands

When leaving the Netherlands permanently, it is your responsibility to hand over your (expired) residence permit at the airport ID checkpoint in the Netherlands or return it by mail from abroad.  

Furthermore, do not forget to unregister from your Dutch municipality of residence. 


Manon de Ruijter

International Relations Officer