The PhD position
Nyenrode Business Universiteit is seeking a full-time PhD student with research interests relevant to the field of monetary economics, finance and/or financial markets. The PhD program is a four-year fully-funded program. The PhD-student will join the Center for Corporate Reporting, Finance and Tax. Under the supervision of prof. dr. Ivo J.M. Arnold and prof. dr. Dennis Vink, the PhD student performs empirical research within the area of financial economics.
We are looking for candidates with a Master of Science in economics, econometrics, finance or financial management. Candidates must have strong analytical and quantitative skills. In addition, they should possess good academic writing skills, good communication skills and speak good English.
We are interested in candidates with a clear academic research ambition and a background in both quantitative and qualitative research methods. Candidates must have the ambition to publish in highly-ranked international peer reviewed journals, and to develop a high-quality and original research portfolio that is relevant to academia and the business community. The objective is that the research project results in a number of high-quality, original academic research papers, suitable for publication in peer-reviewed academic journals. In the first year, the candidate is expected to work on a research proposal in collaboration with the supervisors.
This fulltime PhD position involves research, teaching, and contributing to the academic community. The teaching responsibilities will include teaching tutorial sessions in economics and finance courses, grading and thesis supervision.
Who are we?
Nyenrode Business Universiteit offers a combination of sound theoretical framework, practical relevance and personal development. Thanks to this combination, they develop sustainable added value for themselves, for their company and for society. Nyenrode is a small-scale private university, founded in 1946 for and by business, with an international orientation. Nyenrode offers degree and executive education programs in business, management, accountancy and controlling, and conducts research in these disciplines. The mission of Nyenrode is: ‘Serving society by shaping responsible leaders’.
What is the Nyenrode PhD School?
As a PhD candidate you will be part of the Nyenrode PhD School that includes courses, article writing and participation in scientific conferences and seminars. The candidate will work to produce a doctoral dissertation, which is to be written in English.
Who are you?
You hold an MSc, MA or MPhil degree in a relevant discipline from an accredited university, preferably in the fields of economics, econometrics, finance or financial management. You have excellent results in your graduate study. You have an explicit interest in and motivation for academic research.
What do we offer?
The PhD project is a salaried position (EUR 2.566 – 3.440 monthly salary), which means that the appointed PhD candidate is employee (promovendus) of Nyenrode Business Universiteit. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the collective labor agreement. In addition, a holiday allowance, end-of-year bonus, and a generous number of vacation days are part of employment conditions. Accepted candidates are appointed on a full-time basis for a duration up to four years, starting with a 18 month appointment. The PhD position is intended to start at April 1, 2020.
We would like to receive your application package, consisted of:
- A university degree of minimum five years (300 ECTS credits) within the field of business (Master of Science), or equivalent education, of which at least two years (120 ECTS) at the master level that includes a master thesis as the final academic accomplishment.
- Candidates completing their Master of Science degree in the spring/summer of 2021 may also apply.
- Curriculum Vitae + recommendation letter.
- Excellent grades from your Master of Science degree (average of B or better and the same for the master thesis, or equivalent level in a different grading system).
- Good English written and oral language skills. Applicants from non-European countries where English is not the official language must present an official language test report.
- Good analytical skills and knowledge about research methods relevant for the proposed project.
- It is an advantage if candidates speak the Dutch language.
Qualified applicants will be ranked according to the following criteria:
- Quality of the master's thesis
- Applicant's description of motivation for the doctoral dissertation
- Relevant experience from research work
- Teaching potential
The selection will be based on interview(s) with the supervisor, prof. dr. Dennis Vink and prof. dr. Ivo Arnold. Should you have any questions about the Nyenrode PhD School, you can contact Melanie de Ruiter. Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Acquisition regarding this vacancy is not appreciated.
The vacancy is open until the May 20th, 2021