Pieter Klapwijk is Emeritus Professor of Supply Chain Management Economics and Supply Chain Finance at Nyenrode Business Universiteit. Pieter Klapwijk has held this position on a part-time basis since 1997.
Areas of Interests
Pieter Klapwijk’s areas of interest include Supply Chain Economics, Supply Chain Finance and Supply Chain Collaboration. For the collaboration the focus is particularly on the power dynamics within Supply Chains which form the bases of different collaboration structures. Pieter Klapwijk has a long history in both Management Consultancy and Entrepreneurship, which enables him to combine academic aspects with “hands-on” experience in a large variety of businesses. His lectures are therefore peppered with lots of real life practical examples.
- International Baccalaureate at the European School in Brussels in 1968
- MSc in Physics (Ir) at the Technical University of Delft in 1975
- MSc in Management Science & Operations Research at Imperial College in London in 1981
- PhD degree in Supply Chain Economics at the University of Amsterdam in 1996
- After graduating in Delft Pieter Klapwijk worked for four years at the United Nations in Jordan and Bangladesh.
- After graduating in London Pieter Klapwijk led a commercial University spin-off in Operations Research, partnering with different scientists who were internationally renowned for their mathematical work in Routing & Scheduling problems.
- In 1987 Pieter Klapwijk joined the international Management Consulting firm A.T. Kearney as associated Director. Specialized in Supply Chain related areas he led a large variety of projects in this field, mostly for multinational companies. Pieter Klapwijk stayed with A.T. Kearney on a full time basis until 1995 after which he combined A.T. Kearney with Trimoteur (see below) until 2000.
- In 1994 Pieter Klapwijk co-founded the Management & Investment firm Trimoteur. From 1994 until 2010 Trimoteur has created and/or restructured ten companies, nine of which have been successfully exited. One of these companies is Sandd.
- Since 2010 Klapwijk has concentrated his activities entirely on research and consultancy. The research is primarily in the field of Supply Chain Finance, a new extension of Supply Chain Operations. The consulting work is always carried out with M3, a consulting firms specializing in Supply Chain related areas. In that capacity Pieter Klapwijk has in the recent years worked for Pepsico, Rabobank International, Akzo, KLM, Schiphol and Dekra.
- Dutch board member of the (international) Supply Chain Finance Community
- Member of the advisory board of Goodwell, a Micro Finance (Impact) Investment company